Deliver with Deliveroo

Work that fits around your life

Make money on your own schedule with a scooter, with a bike or by car.

  • Ride when you want to
  • Earn great money
  • Get round-the-clock support

What you'll need

  • Bike, scooter or car (with licence and insurance)
  • Smartphone with iOS 13.6 / Android 6 or above
  • Age 18+

Ready to earn? Just tap the app

Use your app to go online when you want and in the area of your choice, within our opening hours. While you’re online, we can send you orders to deliver. Stay online for as long as you like – it’s all up to you.

We're always here for you

When you’re on the road, we’re with you – for help, advice and support, message or call us in the app. Your safety is our priority, so we’ll insure you in case of accidents, too. It’s totally free and applies from the moment you go online.

Competitive fees

We pay a competitive fee for each order you deliver. You can earn tips from customers too, to help towards your earnings goals.

Ways to boost your earnings

Take advantage of busy areas and earn more at evenings and weekends.

Support and peace of mind

Our support teams are always with you. We offer equipment as well as free accident cover when you’re on the road.

Get paid each week

We’ll transfer your earnings each week.

Order your high quality kit

Highly visible, comfortable and breathable gear, suitable for the climate you’re riding in.

More than 3000 restaurant partners

We’re one of the busiest food delivery platforms in the country, delivering orders in your local area every day.

How it works

Once you’ve joined Deliveroo, here’s what to expect.


Accept and go

While you're online, we'll offer you orders to deliver. If you're happy, tap to accept the order


Collect the order

You’ll see a map with a route to the restaurant. Show a staff member your screen to get your packed order.


Make a customer’s day – deliver their food!

Next, we’ll show you the route to the customer. After you’ve delivered their food, you’re ready to accept a new order.

Applying online is easy

Make sure you have your ID card or passport.

Frequently asked questions

  • What are the requirements for being a rider?

    To ride with Deliveroo you’ll need:

    • Proof of your right to work in Belgium (ID Card or Passport) 
    • A smartphone – (iOS 11 and above) or Android (6.0 and above)
    • Your own vehicle (bicycle, e-bike, scooter or eScooter) with the necessary safety equipment
    • A bank account 

    You must also:

    • Be over 18
    • For independent status you will need to provide an active VAT number
    • For vehicles above 25km/h you will also need to make sure you have you have a driving licence and the correct public liability insurance
  • What documents do I need?

    One document to prove your right to work in Belgium, which could be:

    1. UK/EEA passport
    2. EEA ID card 
    3. Non-EEA passport 
    4. Residence Permit

    If you’re applying to ride as independent/student independent you need to have: 

    • An active enterprise number which must be in your name, the entity type must be that of a “natural person” and you must also have the correct nacebel code linked to the delivery of meals (53200,  53.20001 or 82990). 

    If you’re applying to ride with a scooter or a car you’ll also need to have:

    • EEA driving licence (for vehicles above 25km/h) and an insurance
    • Proof of ownership (if your vehicle is below 25km/h)
  • What insurance do I need?

    For scooters and other vehicles above 25km/h, on top of our insurance you will also need your own public liability insurance.

  • What does Deliveroo’s free rider insurance cover?

    As a rider riding with Deliveroo, you are insured when you hit the road. This insurance covers you or your substitute (if you have someone else riding with your rider app, he/she will be covered too). You will be insured when you are connected to the Deliveroo app and up to an hour after you have logged out.

    Click here to make an accident report.

    For riders on bike or electric bike:

    • Accidents: when you are injured following a road accident.
    • Your public liability (damage to a third party): when you hurt or damage the property of someone else following a road accident.

    For riders of moped A, moped B, scooters and cars

    • Accidents: when you are injured following a road accident.
    • You must have your own public liability insurance.

    Qover does not intervene in the following situations:

    Trouble with your phone – clothing problems – problems with your bike, electric bike, scooter or car – when you are off duty.

    Click here to read the general terms and conditions.

    Do I need to have additional personal insurance or does Deliveroo cover everything?

    It depends on your vehicle. As you can see at the top of the page, riders owning a bike or electric bike are covered by Deliveroo’s Qover Insurance for public liability and personal injury.

    For mopeds A, mopeds B, scooters and cars, you must have a public liability insurance that mentions use of your vehicle for professional activities.

    How do I know if I have the right personal liability insurance for Deliveroo?

    When registering (or changing a vehicle as) a scooter or a car with Deliveroo, we can not guarantee that you are in possession of the correct insurance. It's up to you, when you fill out the registration form, to check it beforehand with your insurance company. You can find the information in your insurance policy or ask them if your insurance contains a clause that allows you to deliver food by scooter or by car as a professional activity. If you check the box without being sure that you have the right insurance policy, you take the risk of not being covered by your insurance in case of accident, which can cost you a lot.

    For more information, call Qover at +32 (0) 2 588 25 50 or contact them by email:

  • How do I get paid?

    Riders get paid for each delivery they make. The exact delivery fee is different per status.

    For independent or student independents the fee varies per order and includes a variable distance fee.

    For P2P the delivery fee is fixed per or depending on the city you ride in. You will be told of the delivery fee payable before you accept the order. 

    Fees are paid weekly on a Wednesday.

    Riders keep 100% of any tips they receive and these are paid at the same time as the rest of your fees.

  • What kit do you offer?

    Once you’ve joined you can order a professional kit from the Deliveroo Kit Store. Here’s what you can get once you’ve joined Deliveroo:


    • Reflective jacket
    • Phone mount
    • Helmet
    • Small thermal bag
    • Insulated backpack

    Scooters & cars

    • Reflective jacket
    • Phone mount
    • Small thermal bag
    • Insulated backpack

    You’re not required to wear Deliveroo branded kit when on the app or delivering for Deliveroo. You’re welcome to buy a kit from a supplier of your choice but your kit will need to meet our minimum safety standards.

You say where, you say when

Apply now!